Thursday, October 22, 2015

Land down Under: Migrants Tale

I am in the land Down Under, and perhaps introduced to the culture especially I am residing in the NT. Coming in from the busy, smog filled city of Metro Manila, into the wild wherein everything seemed to laze down and afternoons are spend on a grog of beer.

I a arrived in the middle of the night and somewhat confused on the fact where I am. The airport looks nice, not fancy but well equipped, though there were some renovations going on. As I finally stepped out of the plane into the immigration, stamps I hear on my passport, clicking, children throwing tantrums wanting to go to bed, other nationalities line up and being questioned further by customs. I see development, it was my first sign that I am in a country wherein bio-scanning to all Australian Citizen entering. I was amazed, I have read it before but never seen before with my naked eye. Everything seemed different, and I am seeing tall people or person everywhere, now I have to ge used to looking up.

Smoothly I went in, no questions , I guess my worst fear are over. As I was ready to leave my bag, custom official suddenly asked, "What's your visa?" "food?" and I saw on the tables bags being opened by, I can see the lines on their faces, bags after bags. My initial thought was, what is going on? Is it going to happen to me too? But then, I quickly replied my visa classification and with food, just seasoning. She just replied, that I may go. Looking for doors, hoping for something grand, but there wasn't, made me confused where was I going, and why not a lot of people were passing thru. I was wondering if I was lost. My husband kept waving at me, and I couldn't even see him, because all I can think about whether I was lost.

It was very different, I knew....


The first couple of days was exciting, I felt like a tourist never realizing that this is going to be my new home.

 He was currently working remotely, during that time, I never understood why he shun away from people. My husband never liked crowded places, I knew the situation that he was in, but it wasn't until I was in his shoes.

Remote living is very different, it was difficult especially since I wasn't doing anything. There were no jobs for me at that time. My first experience wasn't even pleasurable because, I was exposed to problems after problems, and I wasn't accustomed to these kind of problems. A lifestyle of going to work, drive around, plan my next vacation, these are the things I try to resolve everyday. There was no burden to think about, I knew I will always have roof over my shoulder. I had a carefree lifestyle, with no sense of responsibility other than myself. But that all changed, It was a struggle, though it didn't show, I hid under a facade. Every time I feel like I am slowly slipping away into the abysmal thought of sadness I look up and say, where would I be next and what can I do. It always end up with a smile on face.

There is no tale to tell of a glamorous life, but there would be of love, friendship and companionship.


I may go,

No comments:

Post a Comment